11.24.2007

Thanksgiving

We had our Thanksgiving dinner today, saturday. At the moment I am so incredibly exhausted and full that I can't really think of cute jokes or witty remarks, so I'm just showin' them as they are. One thing to note is "Movember," an Aussie charity thing where guys grow out moustaches for the month of November. That is why my husband has a ridiculous moustache at the moment!

Photo #1: "El Capitan Delicioso." I brined this bad boy (organic and never been frozen, to top it off) overnight in rock sea salt that I bought in Thailand and personally hand mortared (oh yes, yes I did). I then basted it continually in a butter-Stella Artois mixture. The Capitan truly was... delicious... and incredibly juicy, thanks to 15 hours of brining. It was my first roast... my hat off to you sir. I shall never forget you.




Photo #2 and 3: The table and my plate. I kept the number of dishes to a minimum because it was just the two and a half of us. What you're looking at is turkey, homemade gravy, orange candied sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, herbed bread stuffing, and cornbread. It was followed up with a pumpkin pie and fresh whipped cream I baked last night.





Photo #4: A man and his son, about to dig in to Thanksgiving dinner.



Photo #5: The aftermath. I cooked, so Dave is cleaning! Wooo hooooo zzzzzzzzzzzzz...



All in all, it was all very very good. I was a little stressed at the end of it because Nevan was being a nut and getting really cranky, but when we finally sat down it was worth the effort. I miss my family and friends, but I wouldn't be anywhere else other than with my husband and son.

No comments: