I was anxious to the max all day over this damn election, and was elated to find out that Obama won the presidency. Go Obama! I think we have so much to look forward to. Many of us feel a sense of hope and anticipation for the next four years.
On the other hand, some of that elation was deflated when I found out CA Prop 8, a proposition to ban gay marriage, passed. It reminds me that even though we FINALLY have the right president we still have a long way to go. As I scrolled through the county by county results, I found myself just shocked at how many people think this is right. I know we all have different opinions and are entitled to them, but this is such a black and white issue for me. Prop 8, other props just like it in other states, and Arkansas' Initiative 1 (Ban on Gay Couples Adopting Children) all passed in favor of homophobes and it makes me mourn for the human rights lost to a group within our nation who are now officially second class citizens. I'm surprised this country lets the gay community even vote at this rate so I guess it could actually be worse. It's infuriating.
Then again, Washington state passed Initiative 1000, which allows terminally ill, competent adults with six months or less to live the right to physician assisted suicide, a notion I am a huge proponent of. Go Washington! I wonder what George Washington would say...
Of course someone out there is saying the exact same thing about people like me, right? Ah well. At least we have agreed on a leader to light the way.
11.05.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I agree wholeheartedly Jae. Amidst the incredible joy I am feeling is also a real sadness that we weren't able to defeat Prop 8. It sickens me. I just don't get it. We will try again in two years and next time we were take ideas from Obama's campaign and be more organized. Like you said, we have a long way to go.
I didn't know prop 8 had passed. Sad. Just sad.
I didn't know about initiative 1000, either. That is a huge step for this country.
Amen - or whatever non-religious people say to mean agreeing with your opinion.
Post a Comment