8.23.2008

As Requested, Cathy Update :P

Cathy, Mark and Noah were visiting in Sydney this week! It was their first time here, and although they came at the end of winter and were only here for a few days I hope they enjoyed their taste of Sydney.

We were lucky enough to spend a considerable amount of their three days here together, and had the distinct pleasure of seeing Noah and Nevan hit it off completely. Apparently Cathy and I had both been prepping the boys for one another for the last week and all our hard work paid off. Unfortunately for you guys, Cathy has all the photos of them being crazy together, so you'll have to wait for her to get back for those :) Being that I live here, I completely forgot to bring my camera every time we got together. Oh wait... that means I have to wait too. No fair!

On their second day here, we met up at Wildlife World in Darling Harbor (Dah-ling Haba, if you pronounce it like an Aussie). Wildlife World is like a little zoo with the main features of Australia's native fauna. They even have a cassowary, my favorite bird, which Taronga Zoo doesn't (you have to respect a bird who can eviscerate you). They boys ran around like two loosed monkeys, blowing raspberries at the bugs together in the insect section and yelling "EW! YUCKY! OOOOH!" while the rest of us perverts giggled at mating grasshoppers. We also took a few pictures with a koala, one of which I have:



After Wildlife World, we opted for food court action and crossed the Pyrmont Bridge over Darling Harbor to the Harborside Mall where we stuffed them with... what else... Happy Meals. Then it was off the the playground, where my boy pooped his pants... twice. Poor kid! We're still working on that.

The next day, and their last day here, Cathy, Dave, and I woke up early and did our Sydney Harbor Bridge Climb. Dave and I have been here for two years this September, and how lame would it be for us to move from here saying we've never done it? They decked us out in the some of the ugliest gear ever (the hammer-style rain pants were a classic touch), she had a good laugh at my clear discomfort in looking like a man, and off we went to conquer Cathy's fear of heights. While I did tease her just a bit from time to time and while she did get special placement at the head of the class because of said affliction, she did really well and I was secretly proud of her for doing what she knew would freak her out. In the end she found that it was really walking over the catwalks that was the worst for her... which probably doesn't help when you're trying to not pay attention to how far you are over the ground just to find that you can see THROUGH the catwalk. The best part for me was towards the end when we were kind of alone over such a catwalk and she kind of panicked. She took a few steps back, then forward, presumably finding no solid platform to stand on where you can't see the ground below, then said to me "okay seriously you need to back up!" It was kind of adorable!





After that, Dave went to work and we met up with Noah and Mark at Lord Nelson's Pub, purportedly the oldest remaining pub in Sydney (pubs during the day are a bit different here as you can bring children to most). I hadn't been there before and it was kind of a treat. Cathy got the roasted sage quail (there was more to the title but I can't remember) and I got the coddled quail eggs with smoked salmon bits and cheesy toast. It was gooood.

We then met up for dinner in my part of town, Balmain, and got to take them to one of our favorite local restaurants. Noah and Nevan were reunited and they spent dinner being kind of giddy, which was both cute and *noisy*. Good lord Nevan is noisy. We rarely go out with people for meals anymore now that we've moved, and certainly never with another child, so this was a new experience for us. All in all it was good and I think they enjoyed the food!

After dinner, we headed over to our house for a little bit to drain the kiddos of their remaining spaz. It was both really weird and nice to have a friend in the house, and to have a friend for Nevan to play with.

Last but not least, I want to thank Cathy again for the awesome gifts she brought for Nevan. She is always so thoughtful :)

10 comments:

Homeslice said...

and good times were had by all. i'm still bumming i didn't get to see a pic of the "hammer pants". please, please, please let there be one of cathy's camera.

Anonymous said...

Awww...thanks for the update! Sounds like SO much fun! Especially seeing the cutest boys on earth playing together! And you two look like models as always! Beautiful shots!

jae said...

Good try! The rain jackets were too long to get a good shot of the baggy crotches on those rain pants :P

Jennifer said...

I can't even figure to tell you how I feel... I have been to Darling Harbour, Taronga Zoo, and I too have climbed that bridge wearing those stupid suits (and no hairpins!). That we have walked over the same streets and steps, I assume we've taken the same ferry, and we have each seen the same view from the top of that magnificent bridge... it makes me feel the world is so very, very small, and yet we have to be on either end of it, right? Here's hoping we meet someday.

Jess said...

Sounds like an incredibly fun time! I can't wait to see pics of the boys playing together, I bet they are adorable. Of course, I am secretly hoping to see the hammer pants too, come on, you have to have gotten one shot of them.

Lweeks said...

Beautiful pictures, great memories. I knew those boys would hit it off. I'm sure they will be friends for life. I am incredibly jealous of the trip. Sigh....maybe some day.
Could you two be anymore beautiful?? Oh, and your hubby's are Hot too!

Jenni said...

Gotta see those hammer pants! I'm glad you all had such a great time together and I can't wait to see the pictures that Cathy took! Thanks for the update :)

Alicia said...

I noticed there were no hammer pants in those pictures, either. Very sneaky, Jae.

I'm so jealous of you guys, but I'm happy for you, too. And how cool that the kids hit it off so well?

4 Lettre Words said...

How beautiful! (And, you two look like sisters in the last pic!)

cathy said...

For some reason, every time you say "eviscerate" it makes me think of those effervescent denture cleaning tablets. I doubt that cassowarys kill you with their scrubbing bubbles though.

Although our stay was a short one we had a blast in Sydney -- in large part thanks to you. We didn't have a lot planned in Sydney so it was fun just seeing the two boys playing together and getting to hang with the locals (as Rachael Ray would say...god I hate her).

Thanks for taking the time to hang out with us and show us around (and steal our diapers! hehe. Just kidding). You know you guys have an open invitation to visit us in HK so we can return the favor.

Miss you (don't laugh) and Noah's been pining for Nevan for days now.