Nevan has changed so much in the last month that it has completely floored me. His standard 3-5 word sentences have doubled in length, with what resembles proper grammar and regular use of correct conjugation showing up more and more. His sense of humor and imaginative play is even becoming more defined, as well as his own beliefs of what is right and wrong. All of this has coincided with suddenly perfect toilet use (even so much that he protests wearing a pull up for nap time, and so far has gotten up to go pee while napping). I can't remember the last time he had an accident.
Dave and I have been fully blown away by this sort of frontal lobe boost he's undergone. I have fallen in love with Nevan all over again. I guess things had been sort of routine for a while.
It's so hard to think of examples on the spot, but I wanted to jot down a few things he's said in the last few days that really stood out to me, and why it was so different than before.
------
After I brought him home from school, he announced he needed to poop. I put him on the toilet and he dropped a bomb in the toilet, then looked at me with big eyes and said "Did you hear it PLOP?!" After I managed to stop laughing, I wondered where he heard the word "plop" used as an onomatopoetic word as opposed to sound effect, or if he merely used a sound effect as a word on his own. Either way, it was funny.
Same evening, Dave is giving him a bath and I hear this conversation:
N: oh, OH I have to poop!
D: You really have to poop right now?
N: YEAH daddy, I have to make a poop!
D: okay, let's dry off really quickly and you can sit on the toilet.
*pause as he does that and Nevan poops* Then in the most "golly gee whiz!" voice ever I hear -
N: oh WOW it looks like a dolphin! Did you hear it plop?!
What is it with the plopping thing? Geez man. Poop humor definitely runs in the family.
He likes to recite his day at school with me when I pick him up, and I've been noticing he has started to remember more and more. Today's after school chat went something like: "Today I play on the bikes and Bailey chased me. Then Kye pushed me. Isn't that very, very sad, mommy? I told the teacher. I also didn't touch the babies today! We read books about animals - snakes and tigers and pumas and dolphins and sharks. And we went to outer space. Astronauts are a kind of person - did you know that?" Awww sweetie, yes, Mommy knew that but I'll happily pretend I don't so you can tell me all about it all over again! Oh, and I ask him to not touch the babies at school too much because he gets a little carried away.
"Gorillas live on the ground, on the floor. Monkeys live in the trees. OOH OOH AHH AHH!"
I've also tricked him into thinking Kung-Fu Panda marketed yogurt is dessert, because with all the sugar in that thing I think that it's a near like-for-like replacement for ice cream as is! I've also drilled into him to politely ask for things using "may I please have..." instead of just using "please" (I still say no sometimes. I'm such a bitch). His little voice is so cute saying it though!
Cathy had sent Nevan this little squishy water globe thingy that Noah had made her buy for him (aww! so cute). When I gave it to Nevan, he was super excited and told me: "Who gave this to me, mommy? Noah did. Noah gave it to me because he loves me, all the way from Hong Kong. We buy something for Noah and give it to him too, okay mommy?" It was so incredibly sweet I teared up.
10.08.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
You have one of the sweetest little boys ever, complete with poop humor:)
He's really into discussing and explaining things, isn't he? That is so cool.
And his growing fondness for Noah really tugs at my heart. I hope they get to see each other again soon. Maybe a video chat? Dude, they would love that!
Awwww! This is so sweet...and now I miss him. :( Probably because I've forgotten just how loud it gets when Noah and Nevan are together.
Give him a hug for me please. And make sure he knows it's from ME. NOT Uncle Mark dammit. Me.
Gotta love the poop humor, I think it's a boy thing :) It is amazing how fast they grow. I know my boys surprise me everyday with their intelligence and humor, it's the kind of stuff that makes you love being a parent.
Awww! The Nevan/Noah friendship is super cute! One of my favorite things is listening to their stories. It seems each week they are able to remember and relate more and more and it's astonishing! I love that Nevan remembers not to "touch the babies" too much...that is adorable! See, he does listen, Mom! :)
Poop humor rocks, and he's a little chatterbox. Isn't it awesome as they get more independent? Sad, but awesome.
I am impressed with Nevan's AND your vocabularies! "Onomatopoetic?" Nice!
Why is it that no matter how old we get poop is funny?! I'll never know.
I agree with you on the growing up too fast. It seems like they go from speaking things we can't understand to overnight being able to recite Shakespeare? Okay, well maybe not Shakespeare.
Post a Comment