Now lately I've been having massive dog fever. I think the reason for this is Aussie culture has been rubbing off on me a lot - Aussies are major dog lovers and EVERYONE here has one. Pretty much no exceptions. And all the dogs are unbelievably happy and well taken care of. Every park, small or large, has a local group of neighbors who meet every night after work with the dogs, often bringing along wine in the warmer months. On warm weekends they sometimes stay out in the park for hours at night, chatting while the dogs play on their own (no leash laws here - most walk without one). It's part of their lifestyle and I find it very charming.
Now that we have two cats, a kid, are thinking about another kid, and are moving to a country where the homes are small, the last thing I should be thinking of is getting a dog but that couldn't be further from reality. I have looked at every conceivable breed, large and small, to find the *right* one for kids, cats, and a small living space. I wanted short hair and low exercise needs in case, after having another child, I can't get out as much as I'd like. A patient, loving, gentle breed, and something that will make me feel safer as a SAHM. I was worried none of my favorite breeds would match this very specific list of requirements (favorites: greyhounds, whippets, great danes, dalmations, black labs, and bull mastiffs). But I was wrong... almost.
Enter the Great Dane. It's one of my top two favorite breeds of all time, topped only by the Dalmation (who is pretty much the opposite of what I need, which is sad because I used to have one and he was absolutely awesome). They're just gorgeous, sweet, gentle giants. The problem is this dog's SIZE. We all know Danes are almost as big as they get, apparently only just beaten out of the title for largest breed by the Irish Wolfhound by a few paltry inches. But on the other hand, I don't really like small dogs... whippets are about as small as I like them. None of those little teacup barky mutants for me.
I can sense Dave would love to have a dog, but it's so not the right time. We won't have room for a dog, much less a big one. If we want to have another kid I should most definitely not get a new dog. I shouldn't even be thinking about it and tell myself to focus on appreciating not having to scoop hot poop in public, but I can't help myself. I even thought about postponing trying for a baby until late in the year if we got one shortly after moving (for more reasons that just this one). I feel pretty heartbroken about it and mourn for a loss I don't even have LOL
I'm so sad. How do you say no to a face like these?! Look at those big clumsy paws, those sweet, attentive eyes! Oh Dave, let's have a baby. A furry one. And we'll pet him and love him and squeeze him and name him Nelson (after my old, beautiful, gentle childhood best friend of a dalmation - can you tell I miss him?).
Puppy:

Full grown:

6 comments:
dude. i've got mike 98% convinced to let me get a great dane when delilah goes to the great beyond. i am seriously head over heels in love with the breed.
What a beautiful dog! I can completely understand your desire to get one. I think it's nice for kids to grow up around dogs, so I don't think the baby should be a reason not to get one. House/garden size, possibly.
I am not a dog person but about 6 months ago I saw a beagle at the pet store who was up for adoption and fell head-over-heels in love. I would have brought him home if Paul wouldn't have made me turn around and take him back. There is something about the RIGHT dog that is priceless. If you find him(or her), I say go for it.
I thought you were a cat person! Dogs are so high maintenance, it's the only reason I refuse to get one, even though my kids would really love to. I'm one lazy bitch in heat.
Family friends had a Great Dane named Dillon; he was the sweetest, goofiest, dopiest thing. And he was very good with the little ones.
He was HUGE though. I'm a little terrified of dogs bigger than me. And he needed lots of running room. He'd run for hours.
He also seemed to think he was a lapdog, which cracked me up to know end.
They're a really special and unique breed. Maybe someday, Jae.
I have always been a cat person. Have had cats my whole life. Dogs stayed outside and were regularly run over by farm trucks (So you never really loved them too much).
Will and I discussed a dog, and went over breeds. Will wanting a golden retriever, or a lab, or a german short hair. A dog with purpose a hunting dog for his once every other year hunting trip? Neither of us was thrilled about or even willing to, pay $500+ for a dog.
Enter the free puppy- Lily. We got her from a friend. She is an American Pitbull Terrier. We did hella research before we brought her home.
And she had changed me. I walk up to strangers and say "Can I pet your dog?" I oooh and ahhh over dogs and puppies out on walks. I am a dog person, and can not imagine not having one. Lily has touched me, and she makes me feel safe. And she loves- unconditionally- so unlike a cat.
ohhh!!! I love Great Danes... there are THREE in my neighborhood and they are all so sweet!
I'm sure you saw the picture of the puppy my mom and dad just got... an English Setter... awww... she's so cute!!!!
I want a dog so badly too... but Rich strongly dislikes them... I think I'll break him down when we no longer need to go to England for 2 weeks at a time...
go on... get a puppy so I can live vicariously through you....
Post a Comment