7.15.2008

Brag Time

Nevan has been going through potty training for a few months now and has been doing pretty well. The only thing he hated was pooping in a potty or toilet... he is used to the feeling of pooping in a diaper, so he ends up pooping his underwear which you guys all know just SUCKS. Dave and I have been drilling it into his head over the last month though that he needs to go in the pot. So much so that he just randomly says "big boys don't poop their pants. They poop in the toilet" with a wide eyed "Did you know?!" nod. Yeah I know, it's not the greatest way to phrase it to him, but many a pair of pooped underwear does that to you.

Like many kids do, Nevan throws off his towel after shower time and runs around naked in his room for a while. Tonight was no exception. I was getting his pj's out and straightening out the bed while he was having flasher time with his toys. I keep a little potty in his room for when we get to middle of the night stuff and he can't make it to the bathroom (we are sooo far away from night training, but I was trying to be prepared).

Well, he's running around playing and all of a sudden he gets all quiet and I see him jump onto the potty. I figured he was peeing because he's gotten good at that, so I don't say anything lest I distract him. A few seconds later he jumps off and says "I'm done!". I reply, "Yay! Did you make a wee?" and he says "Yeah! No. I made a little poop." I go over and there's a giant turd in there! He's pooped in the potty a couple times before, but only after heavy prompting and sitting on it for 20 minutes. Never one his own, and so quickly. I think that he was naked really helped. If he had pants on I think he might have gone in them.

I was totally shocked and so happy! We did a bunch of high fives, kisses, and huggy squeezes and I told him he made me the proudest mommy in the whole world. That really put a big grin on his face (he's been using the word "proud" a lot... new favorite concept I guess).

And I meant it.

11 comments:

Alicia said...

Yay for pooping in the potty! Go Nevan. Lots of virtual high-fives comin' atcha.

Christina said...

Hurray for Nevan! Fiona had a seriously hard time getting comfortable pooping on the potty, but once she finally did it a couple of times that was it. I bet you Nevan will be fully trained in no time.

I like the random "big boys" quotes. Fiona used to ask lots of questions like, "do fashion models wear underwear? do rockstars?" well, as far as I know they don't wear diapers (except maybe Ozzie) so the answer is yes my dear.

Sara said...

Isn't it hilarious that we're so proud of poop? We're still working on it too, and let's just say, it ain't happening. I'm looking forward to night time training too, but for now, just not having to change him 5 times a day is a bonus.

Go Nevan! Do your pooh pooh!

Lweeks said...

Yay for Nevan!! Yay for Mommy!!

Anonymous said...

Hooray for you and Nevan. That's a huge deal. I'm sure being nekkid helped, but I bet if you had made Nevan wash his own underwear that might've yielded faster results. ;) Great job mama.

Jess said...

Yay Nevan! I wish I could have a potty breakthrough with Liam! You tell him that people all around the world are proud of him!

Unknown said...

Your tale of success is an inspiration to those of us who haven't reached the promised land yet. I hope this means he poops in the pot forever more.

Anonymous said...

Oh Sweet! Go Nevan! Apparently being nakie is the key to pooping success. Hmm...I'm taking notes since right now all I hear from Cooper is "I don't want to be a big boy right now." O-kay. How does one argue with that? Sheesh.
I too, would be the proudest mommy on earth if he'd poop in the pot, and that ain't no joke.

Lisa said...

That's awesome. I'm glad it's happening so quickly for you and that he's catching on so well. The only down side to being potty trained; he'll be using every restroom in every building you visit for the next five years. But it's worth it, SO worth it to not have to worry about diapers any more!

Jenni said...

That's totally awesome, way to go Nevan!

Homeslice said...

yay nevan! big hug from auntie cristina. and jae, sorry i'm so far behind on your blog. when i don't have rss feeds i fall behind. i suck, i know.